Correct as of 24/03/2020, 12:30pm
Staying home to stop coronavirus spreading
The single most important action we can all take, in fighting coronavirus is to stay at home in order to protect the NHS and save lives.
When we reduce our day-to-day contact with other people, we will reduce the spread of the infection. That is why the Government has introduced new measures to tackle the spread of coronavirus, including a ban on public gatherings of more than two people.
According to guidance, you should now only leave the house for one of four reasons:
- Shop for basic essentials – only when you really need to.
- One form of exercise a day – such as a run, walk or cycle, alone or with other people you live with.
- Medical need – for example, to visit a pharmacy or deliver essential supplies to a vulnerable person.
- Travel to and from work – but only where this is absolutely necessary.
If you do need to go outside for one of these reasons, it's important that you always keep a distance of 2m (6ft) from other people.
Symptoms of coronavirus:
- a new, continuous cough and/or
- a high temperature
If you believe that you have the Coronavirus do not go to your GP or hospital. You are advised to look on the NHS website for more information about the virus and its symptoms before calling NHS 111 to help relieve the pressures that the service is currently facing.
What to do if you are displaying symptoms of Coronavirus
- The advice is to self-isolate which means that you are to no longer go to work, or go outside. You are advised to seek help from others with regards to collecting groceries, medication and anything else that you might need. This advice extends to the people that you live with.
How to avoid catching or spreading germs
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away
- Wash your hands with soap and water often –use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.